Day 7: Still not king.
I spent a few minutes today and gathered some components. Yay, kitbashing!
I've swiped hexes, settlements, and cities from Settlers of Catan, and cubes from Ursuppe. Three colors matched between the two, so I've got pieces for 3 players. I'll keep the initial board small to minimize what I need, since I don't think I have enough pieces at the moment. I'll probably burn through those 5 settlements (denoting 3 cubes) and 4 cities (denoting 5 cubes) in no time.
Mental thumbnail: A board of 15 hexes means 60 power centers, plus a cube each for ownership. Hrm. Maybe I'll drop a terrain type and shrink the board to 12 for initial testing. New terrain types can get pushed to the Optional file. With 3 players, that small of a board will force some conflict quickly. Or with 2 players maybe I'll double up on colors to extend the usable supply of pieces...
I'm starting to think how to order the rules to best effect. Component definition, what the board looks like, then startup and setting up the board, then how a turn works, then effects of specific actions - that seems to make the most sense. Now to actually finish writing the blessed rules.
All in all, still making progress. I should have something usable by Day 17, if not Day 10 this weekend. If it ain't beautiful, there's still time to rewrite and polish.