"Hi! My name is Wombat, and it's been thirty days since my last blog entry."I disappeared for a month without telling anyone. There were holidays to celebrate and work to crank out and songs to sing and games to play and the battle against dirt and vermin that never seems to end. In a way, it felt great to walk away from the self-imposed pressure of maintaining a blog, but I miss developing my game-related thoughts into something moderately useful, at least useful to myself. So I'm back, and gods help the guilty. Or something like that.
In some ways I never left; I just changed venues. I've been putting some effort into The Gamer Assembly, mainly by curating the Weekly Assembly RPG link roundup. It's fun to scour the blogosphere and collect really cool content that came out in the past week. It shows me that the community remains vibrant, intelligent, and still willing to share with each other. The D&D Next hubbub and all the blog activity it inspires is still happening, but with DDXP happening this weekend, we may be able to get some more hints about it into the community at large despite NDAs flying thick and furious.
We're working on a post-apocalyptic setting at The Gamer Assembly called 3 Generations After The End, or 3GATE for short. It's designed to be system-agnostic, but we're including stats for 5 systems (D&D 4e, Gamma World, Savage Worlds, FATE, and Apocalypse World). We're still publishing bits which may spill over into February, and at this point I'm still developing Greybar City, with apologies to Dunk for wholeheartedly stealing the name. It's got some neat bits, and we hope some GMs will lift parts of it and let us know how they worked. As always, feel free to drop by the chat room and say hi. I'm lurking up there most weekdays.
I'm planning another blogfest for President's week called Campaign Season. That doesn't have quite the punch and unrelated marketing hype that Winter Is Coming does, but then again winter isn't the time for war unless you're a frost giant. Start thinking of your military and war-themed RPG articles and I'll get a signup page going in the next couple of weeks so we can start getting organized.
As for content here at the Gaming Den of Iniquity, we've got a few things on the docket.
- A review of Thunderstone coming up on Tuesday for Game Night. This will be my first game review for which I received a complimentary copy of the game, a trend that I hope will continue.
- Finish Schrödinger's Gun GMing. I'm planning for another 4 articles, though that may expand as I get deeper into it. I wasn't expecting The 3 Types of Loot to take off as much as it did, so I think I'm on the right path. I need to finish this. It's a first draft and then I'll collate the bits into a PDF with much editing, and hopefully it'll be well-received. But first: finish the blessed thing.
- Finish the Traveller Adventure Arc. I want this done for me - maybe it'll be another collected PDF project.
- An obligatory D&D Next post. Don't know if it'll be a wishlist or an observational post, but there's more than enough fodder out there to blog about for years to come.
- Other things as they strike my fancy. I don't want to make a schedule - that's not really my style. I want to post at least one thing per week. I want the freedom to react to things as they come up without feeling guilty and reworking a set schedule. This is my space to blather on, and I intend to do just that. Hopefully you'll find my blathering interesting enough to not wish for those few minutes back.
Thanks for reading!